Monday, October 5, 2009

Life is Like a Big Meef Quesarito

What the hell is a "Meef Quesarito" you might ask? That's precisely what the bulk of food from establishments like Taco Bell and Hot and Now are serving to you. That's what you pay money for. It tastes good (or acceptably good) and fills your stomach for a period of time. But when you get right down to the nuts and bolts of the thing, just what the hell is in the Meef Quesarito?
I felt a lot less pressure to make a quick decision while ordering my food when I discovered that all of the items served at Taco Bell for example are simply differently proportioned concoctions of the same five or six ingredients. It really doesn't matter if I order the Double Queso Beefarito or the Cheezy Queso Taco Grande. There's going to be some form of shell, hot meef filling, a few scraps of lettuce, and of course, queso oozing from every opening. One item simply has more of one or another of these elements than the other and thereby (apparently) necessitates different nomenclature.
But where's the connection to life? Other than the fact that this thing might have been crawling around on its own had they not thrown it in the microwave before presenting it to me, how does it relate? I see the connection because I am a person who has lived a previous life, not in the reincarnation and metaphysical sense that some Eastern religions use the term. No, I am 33 years old, a former teacher, a former husband, a former home-owner, and now I am none of those. Because of a flurry (okay... shitstorm is more accurate) of events, I left that life behind and started a new one. However, I've found that this new life is much like the old one in several respects. If money is the "meef" then I've had the Double Meef Grande, but I'm doing just fine now (more or less) with the regular old Meef Taco. I'm getting by just fine. If work is the shell, then I've alternately had soft and hard. Either is fine, and serves the purpose, but once you get used to one or the other, making the switch is difficult. I was apparently quite accustomed to soft. I could continue to draw the parallels, comparing love to queso, but while both are divine in their own right, I hardly feel that it's necessary at this point.
Ultimately, when you make a change in life, you still have the same four or five ingredients, but in different proportions. So I'm not a teacher anymore, I'm a student and soon to be an engineer. The work is still there, but in my double role as student and worker in the local grocery hell, it's piled on more heavily than it was before, leaving little room for the meef or the queso... especially the queso. *frowns*
I don't know how many people will read this, but I would like to hear what you think. The important thing here is that I wanted to get back to writing again and spend some time fiddling around with a preposterous idea. So go forth, prosper, and enjoy your own glorious Meef Quesarito before it's too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment